- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions (thawed)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces goat cheese (room temperature)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 1 (14oz) box refrigerated pie crust
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, add the oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the onions, sugar, and salt to taste. Cook until the onions are golden brown and carmelized, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and set aside to cool.
Pre-heat over to 375 degrees.
In a bowl combine the goat cheese, egg, cream and tyme. Pour the mixture into a small re-sealable bag. Snip off the corner of the bag to use it for piping.
Lay the pie crusts out flat on a clean surface and with a 2 1/2” round cutter, cut out the 12 circles from each crust. Press them into the cups of the mini-muffin tin. Fill each cup 1/2 way with the cooled onions. Pipe the cheese mixture on top of the onions, filling the cups. Bake the tarts until the filling is set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let the tarts cool slightly, and then remove them from the muffin tin and serve.