Makes: 2 dozen bruschetta
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
* 1/2 cup golden raisins
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 4 cups chopped yellow onions
* 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 24 thin slices baguette, toasted
* 24 peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, (26-30 per pound)
1. Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with boiling water; set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened and beginning to color, 5 to 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes more.
3. Drain and chop the raisins; add to the onions along with capers, dill, pepper and salt. Cook uncovered, stirring, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
4. Top each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon onion spread and 1 shrimp.